As we start looking towards the fall, and students begin the process of getting ready to go back to school, it's a good time to review some simple basics to help keep your students' spine healthy!
1. Exercise every day
2. Eat healthy foods and drink lots of water
3. When sitting and standing, keep your shoulders back and squared … and try not to “hunch” your back
4. Stretch before and after sports
5. Don’t overload your backpack
6. Stretch your legs and back after each hour of sitting – between classes is ideal
7. Never cradle the phone (or anything else) between your head and shoulder
8. Sleep on your back or side instead of your stomach
9. Get enough rest and sleep on a good pillow and firm mattress
10. Have regular spinal check ups!
Dr. Dean MacDonald, D.C.